2/6/09

Song Of The Day - Modest Mouse "Missed the Boat"

So I've actually decided to make my blog about something!! I'm going to iterate every day a song of my choice, and explain it with my meaning or my opinion of what the artist was saying. Today I start with Modest Mouse "Missed The Boat."

This song is one of my favorite songs by the band, and it truly explains life, when you feel you've done everything that you can do. Or even when your dreams come to a sudden halt, and nothing seems to be right. I'll start off by showing the lyrics, and then in a smaller black font, I'll interpret my meaning, followed by the video.

"Missed The Boat"

While we're on the subject
Could we change the subject now?
I was knocking on your ear's door but you were always out
Looking towards the future
We were begging for the past
Well we knew we had the good things
But those never seemed to last
Oh please just last
I think this has to do with getting lost in our dreams,
never paying attention to what is going on at this very moment.
Hoping that every good memory or fantasy, we can truly hold on to.


Everyone's unhappy
Everyone's ashamed
Well we all just got caught looking
At somebody else's page
Well nothing ever went
Quite exactly as we planned
Our ideas held no water
But we used them like a dam
We look to much at other people, and
we don't pay enough attention to ourselves.
"I want to be like just like them someday"
and we go off into a dream world.


Oh, and we carried it all so well
As if we got a new position
Oh, and I laugh all the way to hell
Saying yes, this is a fine promotion
Oh, and I laugh all the way to hell
I don't really know where to go with this one?
I'm thinking it's more along the lives of denial, and
saying that everything we get isn't worth the trouble.
Like a constant stream of bad luck, and trying to laugh it off.


Of course everyone goes crazy
Over such and such and such
We made ourselves a pillar
We just used it as a crutch
We were certainly uncertain
At least I'm pretty sure I am
Well we didn't need the water
But we just built that good God dam
Finally we break down. But, of course, we try to stay sane.
We try to keep ourselves whole, but we are still faking it.
We don't really know where who we are, but we try to come up with
something. As for the water and dam? Over compensating for the
dream we lost.


Oh, and I know this of myself
I assume as much for other people
Oh, and I know this of myself
We've listened more to life's end gong
Than the sound of life's sweet bliss
So we think we know it all now, been there
done that. Now we deal with it.


Was it ever worth it?
Was there all that much to gain?
Well we knew we missed the boat
And we'd already missed the plane
We didn't read the invite
We just dance at our wake
All our favorites were playing
So we could shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
Was it ever worth it? All the trouble to try. Should've realised
a long time ago, that it wasn't going to happen. So now
just try to hold on to the memories, and dance.
Or "shake, shake, shake, shake, shake!"


Tiny curtains open and we heard the tiny clap of little hands
A tiny man would tell a little joke and get a tiny laugh from all the folks
Sitting drifting around in bubbles and thinking it was us that carried them
When we finally got it figured out that we had truly missed the boat
watching someone else, living what should be our lives.
and the pain seems to start again.


Oh, and we carried it all so well
As if we got a new position
Oh, and we owned all the tools ourselves
But not the skills to make a shelf with
Oh, what useless tools ourselves
but maybe we'll turn it around? We seemed to ok for the longest
time. But who are we kidding?





1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can tell you what this part is about

"Oh, and we carried it all so well
As if we got a new position
Oh, and I laugh all the way to hell
Saying yes, this is a fine promotion
Oh, and I laugh all the way to hell"

It's about how you put on a show for other people to pretend as though you're in a better place, when really you're stuck in the same one and then it moves in to talking about suicide. If you kill yourself, you're going to go to hell and he's saying that at this point he would rather have that than life.