11/20/08

Photography.

So lately I've been lost in my career choice. I'm 19 years old and most of my friends are half way through their sophomore year of college. I haven't even signed up. Yeah, I've considered the options, looked everything over and studied the possibilites of my interests, but I don't like the outcomes. If I go for business, (like everyone else), I wind up sitting at a desk for the rest of my life. I'm a HUGE people person, and I love being able to go where I want, when I want. So I figured, police officer, right? They do more paper work than someone with a business degree. Maybe a musician somehow? That's my biggest curiosity. Or maybe I could work in the studio, be an engineer or something. Wouldn't that be freakin' neat?

Well it turns out, you have still have to be able to play some kind of instrument, and go through try-outs. I can play guitar, yes. But not well enough to pass a try-out. Secondly, you have to have a GPA of at least 3.0. And lets face it, I didn't have a 3.0. Also... the only schools that I would be able to go to if I did make it past the try out or the GPA problem... would be in Georgia, where I know Julie, and she could help me out. Or in Chicago, where I know Amanda, and she could help me out as well. But that means leaving my friends and family. And when/if I would graduate, there's no jobs here in Omaha. I'd have to move to LA or stay there and get a job.

So I have this strange interest in photos. I always drive past some distressed tree, that has seen it's day, and I cringe at the chance for a photo. Or for some reason the sky is burnt orange, and has a hazy white line along the horizon, where the city meets the sky. COME ON... I have tons of chances for photos like that, and I never take pictures! My excuse, is that I'd simply ruin the moment, and the picture would look like crap. So why not study photography, learn what to do, and get a job that way? I can go where I want when I want. The paper work can't be terrible, and I'm sure I'll get to meet tons of people when the time is right.

I think I'll go out and snap some photos today, to see what I might be capable of. I'll come back and post them. But in the meantime, what do you think of my new found career?

2 comments:

caryl said...

Kenzie, I don't want to bum you out but I'm in the same boat and I'm older than your mom! I have the same interest in photography and want to take a course. But I don't want to make a career out of it.

You could! I think that would be an exciting career, but I don't know how tough it is to make a living at it. I worked for a photographer for alittle while. We were transferred and we didn't have kids yet and I saw this job in the paper. Even though I had a degree in English, I thought it might be fun to do for the short time we would be living there. I'm the one who wound up doing all the paperwork! He took photos of rich people and made a good living.

But I would LOVE to (if we're dreaming here) take photos of musicians at work. I never took photos at concerts until you-know-who and I found it really interesting to try to capture the feeling of the show in a photo.

Do a little research online about the job opportunities for photographers. You can always start out at Sears. I'm not kidding! That photographer I worked for hired a guy with that kind of experience and he moved on and opened his own studio.

Julie said...

Journalism. Study journalism with a specialty in the visual. But you gotta DO IT...stop planning...you don't have to have it all figured out from the get-go. That's what college is for, exploring. Go for it.